Did you know that a balanced, healthy diet can improve your mood, your energy levels, assist with weight loss and even help you live longer?
Here is your guide on how to find a healthier, more energetic you through your diet.
There are five foods groups to enjoy every day.
- Bread, cereals, rice, pasta and noodles (include wholegrain varieties).
- Vegetables (include 5 serves a day).
- Fruit (include 2 serves a day).
- Milk, yogurt, cheese (choose low fat dairy products).
- Meat, fish, poultry, eggs and nuts.
Try to have two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables each day.
What's in a serve?
Examples of 1 serve of fruit are:
- 1 medium apple, banana, orange or pear OR
- 2 small apricots, kiwi fruits or plums OR
- 1 cup diced or canned fruit (no added sugar)
Examples of 1 serve of vegetables are:
- ½ cup cooked green or orange vegetables (for example, broccoli, spinach, carrots or pumpkin)
- ½ cup cooked dried or canned beans, peas or lentils (preferably with no added salt)
- 1 cup green leafy or raw salad vegetables
Find more advice on portion sizes and types of healthy foods.
Eat healthy foods instead of "extra foods".
‘Extra foods' are things like cakes, biscuits, lollies, and chips. They are not included in the five food groups. Only eat ‘extra foods' in small amounts & only occasionally or not at all.
Know when to eat & when to stop.
Many of us eat when we are too hungry and eat past the feeling of being comfortably full. Try to rate your hunger levels before and after eating and make sure you eat at the initial signs of hunger, only eat until you're satisﬁed.
- Incredibly hungry (starving, dizzy, irritable)
- Hungry (feeling ready to eat)
- Initial signs of hunger (slight pangs)
- Neutral (not full or hungry)
- Satisﬁed (feeling comfortable)
- Full (feel like you have overeaten)
- Overfull (feeling sick)
It’s all about balance
Try to balance your food intake with regular exercise. Make sure you eat according to your activity levels and watch your portion size. A healthy diet from the 5 main food groups, eaten in moderation should be balanced with regular physical activity, at least 30 minutes most days.
Did you know?
If you reduce your food and drink intake by 100kj every day; or burn an extra 100kj of energy every day you will lose 1kg of body fat in a year!
Learn more about why balance matters.
Drink water instead of sugary, energy-filled drinks.
Cut out those extra kilojoules by drinking water instead of sports drinks, flavoured mineral water, fruit drinks, soft drinks & alcohol.
Here are interesting figures about drinks and their respective kilojoules
- 355ml serve of soft drink contains around 639 kj
- 355ml serve of orange juice contains around 621 kj
- 355ml serve of water contains 0 kj
Find out more about kilojoules content in drinks and food here.
Have a healthy start!
A healthy breakfast can improve your mood and increase your energy to make sure that you reach your full potential during the day. You can also plan & keep track of your healthy eating with our Get Healthy Food Diary.
You can get healthy now!
Talk to a Get Healthy Service Health Coach on 1300 806 258 or start your journey here!